The University Cup competition first kicked off in 1970 when the then NSWRL Second Division club, Sydney University, paired with Macquarie University (North Sydney) and University of NSW (South Sydney) to form a tertiary level Rugby League competition for Metropolitan Sydney. The concept grew rapidly with Tertiary institutes all around Sydney creating teams for the competition in its first few years.
The NSW Tertiary Student Rugby League is an affiliated body of the New South Wales Rugby League, established to promote the development of Rugby League within Universities, TAFE and other Tertiary Institutes within the state of NSW.
Formed in late 1969, the NSW Tertiary Student Rugby League came about when the Sydney University, Macquarie University, University of NSW and University of Newcastle Rugby League clubs joined to create their own competition that was not restricted by the same boundaries as other senior open age competitions within Sydney.
The NSW Tertiary Student Rugby League is steaped in history with over 40 years of developing Rugby League in Sydney, Bathurst, Canberra and Newcastle in First Division, Second Division and Third Division competitions, feel free to relive the past and even watch some great Grand Finals.
Past Premiers History
– Tertiary Championship: First Division
– Bill Buckley Memorial Trophy: Second Division
– John Pollard Trophy: Third Division
– Arnold Stehr Tertiary Nines
– University Games – Past Winners
– 2014 (First and Second Division)
– 2013 (First and Second Division)
– 2012 (First and Second Division Finals)
– 2011 (First and Second Division)
– 2010 (First and Second Division)
– 2009 (First and Second Division)
– 2008 (First and Second Division)
– 2007 (Tables Only)
– 2006 (Tables Only)